INVEST IN GREECE
Greece is one of the world’s leading tourism destinations and draws investor interest
in a wide variety of sub sectors
accounts for 15.7% of national GDP and 18.4% of employment in Greece. Sectorhas grown significantly over the years and remains a strong area for investment.
Greece is 17th in tourist arrivals globally and tourism is 24th in totalcontribution to GDP globally.
and historical legacies favor tourism in Greece, a country with a unique past, awealth of archaeological treasures and world class monuments and museums.
Geography provides spectacular landscapes with pristine beaches and iconicmountains, and a mild, Mediterranean climate that is ideal for year-roundtourism; there is an average of 300 sunshine days per year and more than 6,000islands and islets.
Tourism arrivals reached 28 millions in 2023.
With a population of around 10 million people, this means that by 2015, there will be 2 tourists for each Greek citizen.
receipts reached 10.5 billion Euros in 2011, a 10% increase over 2010.
Supporting Greece’s tourism industry is a well developed infrastructure:
– More than 9,500 hotels and 1,3 million beds
– 4,500 travel agencies
– A fleet of 160,000 cars for rent
– More than 7,500 tourist coaches
– 500 yacht agencies with 3,500 yachts to explore Greece’s seas
– 29 International airports and 45 airports in total, all ready to host domestic flights
– A comprehensive ferry system connecting the mainland with Greece’s islands
– A rail and intercity coach system that covers most of the countryGreece
is ranked 29th in the world, among 139 countries, in terms of tourism
– 5th in tourism infrastructure
– 1st in environmental treaty ratification
– 15th in airport density and in operating airlines
– Significant hotel infrastructure
10 + 1 reasons to invest in Greek Tourism sector
1. Greece is an establishedtourism destination, among the 20 biggest tourism markets in the world
2. Greece has unique, competitive advantages emerging from landscape, location,climate, history and culture
3. Greece is moving toward an extension ofseasonality, providing a huge potential for an increase in tourist visits
4. The low percentage of 5 star and 4 star hotels provides room for expansion inthese categories
5. There is a need for quality 3 star accommodationfacilities in major cities
6. There is a low penetration of international hotel chains
7. The new legislative framework for integrated tourism resorts is highly attractive
8. A number of international public tenders for public tourist assets are in progress and in the pipeline
9. There are numerous combined business opportunities with agri and food companies to promote theglobally known Greek diet and gastronomy
10. The Investments Incentives Lawand Fast Track Law dramatically facilitate tourism investments
10+ 1: The Government has reached a firm strategic decision to support thesector
The National Bank of Greece has detailed specific subsectors that are especially attractive for investment:
i) residential real estate
ii) conference tourism
iii) integrated resorts, including golf courses
iv) sports tourism, notably sailing and yachting
v) health and medical tourism—Greece could become a center of excellence in the region
vi) history and religious tourism, taking advantage of the many historic sites, vast historic wealth, and
WHY GREECE in SUMMARY:
Features of living and investing in Greece:
- Member of the European Union.
- Schengen zone country PR holder can travel all around Europe free of any visa.
- Strategic location between Europe, Africa and Asia.
- Best investment location in the world 2012-2013.
- In one year the Greek FTSE 20 ETF has gained more than 50%.
- Best comfortable climate in the Mediterranean Sea.
- One of the best tourist destinations in the World.
- Attractive environment combining the best beaches in the world with beautiful mountains.
- Greece is the foundation of Western Civilization.
- Hospitality and respect to all religions and cultures.
- English language is spoken by the majority of the population.
- High degree of safety and very low rate of crime.
- Lowest tax rate in the European Union.
- Advanced level of education and health services.
- Clear perspective plans for future development.
- One of the best cultural and historical heritage in the world.
- The Greek territory comprises 6,000 beautiful islands.